About the Fish
Know Your Fisherman
Around the Table
Around The Table
February 28, 2020
A recipe created by Melina Hammer
- 2 6-oz sockeye salmon steaks
- 1 cup of your favorite olives - Picholine, Nicoise, and Cerignola pack a nice briny hit and retain their firm texture well
- 1 1/2 cups new or small Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until easily pierced with a sharp knife
- 3-5 colorful radishes, such as watermelon or green Luobo, sliced very thinly and tossed in olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 handful haricot verts, steamed until bright green and shocked in an ice bath
- 1/2 cup baby greens, such as radish sprouts, micro chervil, sunflower sprouts, etc
- 1 avocado, split in half
- 1/2 cup fresh dill leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Meyer lemon, cut into wedges
- 5-9 caper berries, to garnish
- good olive oil, for searing
- kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
Blot any moisture from salmon steaks, season with salt and pepper, and allow them to come to room temperature, at least 20 minutes before cooking.
In a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until shimmering. Place the fish in the pan and sear undisturbed for 4-5 minutes. Turn steaks over and sear for 1 minute longer, basting them with the hot fat.
Transfer steaks to a serving platter and arrange all other ingredients in piles, alternating colors and textures. Season everything with freshly cracked pepper, and just a little flake salt on the avocado halves, potatoes, and radishes.
Eat at once.
← Back to Recipes